We need
your help!


www plumstead-stories.com

including Woolwich & Districts





The School Board for London, formed after the 1870 Education Act, had responsibility for education within the Metropolitan Board of Works district. Thus education in Plumstead became the responsibility of the new Board. Previously, children had attended church schools: St. Margaretís School, built in 1856 on Plumstead Common (Plumstead Central School), or Christ Church School, built in1857 on Shooters Hill.

Among the earliest Board Schools to be built in Plumstead were: Bloomfield Road, Burrage Grove, Brewery Road, and Plumstead High Street. The Slade School of 1884 was designed by the famous School Board for London architect Edward Robson. By 1910 there were about ten state schools in Plumstead. The original names of these schools are used above but they were all subsequently renamed.'

(Reprinted with kind permission from an article on the site of the; IDEAL HOMES: SUBURBIA IN FOCUS - A joint venture of The London Boroughs of Bexley, Bromley, Greenwich, Lambeth, Lewisham, Southwark and the University of Greenwich)

Miscellaneous Items

This site is © Copyright Colin Weightman 2006, All Rights Reserved.
Free web templates